Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kenojuak Ashevak


I was looking up pictures of beavers for an environmental education program and I happened to find a few Inuit drawings of beavers, and I couldn't help but look for more of these breathtaking drawings. I remember my first exposure of this style of art being from a calendar, with drawings by Kenojuak Ashevak, that a friend bought my husband and I as a wedding present.

Kenojuak Ashevak, born in 1927 on Baffin Island in Northern Canada, is known as the queen of modern Inuit art. She is famous for her drawings and soapstone sculptures, which she started doing in the 1950's. Ashevak was also one of the first female Inuit artists whose work as sought after by collectors around the world.

I hope you enjoy the small sampling of her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment